Young Minds Matter is a youth-led campaign to promote better mental health and well being for young people in Luton and Dunstable. Our focus is young people themselves as well as anyone who cares about young people; namely parents and families and people who work or volunteer alongside young people.
Our aims are to:
- Promote better mental health and well being for all young people
- Increase the knowledge and understanding around young people’s mental health
- Reduce the stigma and discrimination around mental health
- Enable participants of our campaign to help others by providing advice and peer-to-peer support. We will also provide some awareness training [including Mental Health First Aid Training [MHFA England] for some young people*, see below]
- Increase young people’s voice, so that young people themselves can be heard as better representatives and advocates for themselves
- Support the development of more youth ambassadors for good mental health and well being
We invite you to be part of our campaign by:
- Signing up to our free workshops -click here to sign up to the first workshop on World Mental Health Day, Wednesday 10th October, 5pm-7pm at Luton Sixth Form College [see flyer attached]
- Look out for the next of our 4 workshops coming up over the next few months: see our social media pages, or we will contact you!
- Join our campaign as a volunteer, a supporter or as an advocate of good mental health and well being
- Amplify our message: spread the word across your family, friends and in your community using our social media pages
Our campaign is primarily aimed at young people between the ages of 16-25 years, but this campaign can also benefit younger people aged 11 – 16 years of age: if anyone between the ages of 11-16 years would like to attend our workshops that is possible but only under the supervision of a parent or suitable family member/carer. We also know how important it is for parents, family members and those who work with young people to be part of these conversations, so we would welcome you to attend our workshops.
We look forward to seeing you and speaking to you very soon
Don’t forget to sign up here: Young Minds Matter Workshop
*Each of us is Mental Health First Aid [England] trained. We will be able to access further training for young people so they can support their peers. Further information will be available at the first training session on 10/10/2018.
Note: we have a full set of safeguarding policies which we will adhere to in our work and we work alongside mental health professionals who can provide professional advice, support and help as appropriate at all of our workshops.
The Young Minds Matter Team